Here at K-West we have many traditions and a bunch of kamp classics! The K-West kitchen is called the Chuck Wagon and it is considered the heart of kamp! The staff who cook and prepare food in the kitchen serve us faithfully each and every day making up delicious food for all of kamp! From spaghetti to fried rice to sandwiches to tacos, we consume a wide variety of types of food here at kamp. Also, PB&Js are always an option if a kamper does not like a specific meal AND K-West meets the needs of kampers who are gluten free / dairy free / other food allergies. All in all, two favorites each summer are Coffee Cake and Gucci Bars. Coffee Cake is made each Kamp Sunday, per tradition. Gucci Bars, which are caramel and chocolate oat bars, are served multiple times throughout the term, including during Closing Ceremonies for parents to try!
Here are the recipes for BOTH so that you can make them at home with your friends and families and get a little taste of kamp throughout the year!
2 c. oats
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 c. butter
10 oz. caramel
1 c. chocolate chips
1. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda and butter.
2. Press 2/3 of mixture onto the bottom a 9x13 pan.
3. Spread caramel over the mixture.
4. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
5. Add the remaining mixture on top of that.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
7. Refrigerate until set (1-2 hours).
8. Enjoy with the whole family and a cold glass of milk.
Topping Ingredients (prepare day ahead and refrigerate):
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 oz. butter
Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon and mix well. Cut butter into small pieces and work into dry ingredients with hands. Refrigerate overnight.
3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 c. evaporated milk
1/3 c. margarine
2 cups water
1. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix well. Set aside. (Note: Dry ingredients may be mixed the day before, covered and left at room temperature.)
2. Spray 9x13-inch pan with pan spray.
3. Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl until fluffy.
4. Add vanilla and evaporated milk.
5. Combine margarine with water, then pour slowly into batter and mix on low speed. Turn mixer off.
6. Add small amount of dry ingredients and turn mixer on low to combine. Mix well. Scrape bowl and repeat until all dry ingredients have been incorporated. Beat until batter is smooth.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. Sprinkle topping (prepared before) on top of cake batter, covering well.
9. Place in oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
10. Cool and cut into 3x6-inch pieces to serve. Enjoy and reminisce on your favorite Kamp memories.